1. The machine looked like a large， ________， old-fashioned typewriter.
A*** forceful B*** clumsy C*** intense D*** tricky
2. Though she began her ________ by singing in a local pop group， she is now a famous Hollywood movie star.
A*** employment B*** career C*** occupation D*** profession
3. Within two weeks of arrival， all foreigners had to ________ with the local police.
A*** inquire B*** consult C*** register D*** resolve
4. Considering your salary， you should be able to ________ at least twenty dollars a week.
A*** put forward B*** put up C*** put out D*** put aside
5. As he has ________ our patience， we‘ll not wait for him any longer.
A*** torn B*** wasted C*** exhausted D*** consumed
6. These teachers try to be objective when they ________ the integrated ability of their students.
A*** justify B*** evaluate C*** indicate D*** reckon
7. Mrs. Morris‘s daughter is pretty and ________， and many girls envy her.
A*** slender B*** light C*** faint D*** minor
8. Tomorrow the mayor is to ________ a group of Canadian businessmen on a tour of the city.
A*** coordinate B*** cooperate C*** accompany D*** associate
9. I‘m ________ enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
A*** realistic B*** conscious C*** aware D*** radical
10. Can you give me even the ________ clue as to where her son might be
A*** simplest B*** slightest C*** least D*** utmost
11. Norman Davis will be remembered by many with ________ not only as a great scholar but also as a most delightful and faithful friend.
A*** kindness B*** friendliness C*** warmth D*** affection
12. Salaries for ________ positions seem to be higher than for permanent ones.
A*** legal B*** optional C*** voluntary D*** temporary
13. Most people agree that the present role of women has already affected U.S. society. ________， it has affected the traditional role of men.
A*** Above all B*** In all C*** At most D*** At last
14. Science and technology have ________ in important ways to the improvement of agricultural production.
A*** attached B*** assisted C*** contributed D*** witnessed
15. As an actor he could communicate a whole ________ of emotions.
A*** frame B*** range C*** number D*** scale